Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Dentist: Good or Bad?

Author's Note: This is something completely random that I just wrote.

I went to the orthodontist on Tuesday, and I told the dental hygienist about my bad experiences with dentists. She was surprised. Their offices are in a very fancy building that looks like the mansion in the movie Mr. Deeds. It looks outrageously expensive. Anyway, I used to, and still kind of do, go to a dentist in Illinois with my dad. I am not racist, and forgive me for saying this, but they were all Asian. It was family owned. I'm not saying because they were Asian they were horrible, I was just stating that fact. I have gone there all my life, and have always hated it. They bicker over me about stuff, and it comes off as very unprofessional. They then proceed to hit me with tools. I don't know if it's on purpose, but for people who have gone to dental school for like 6 years, it shouldn't happen. The dental hygenist stands at the bottom of my feet, and stares at me, It seriously reminds me of a demon. She tells me to open my mouth wider, while clearly the dentist hasn't said anything about it. When I try to open my mouth wider, but I can't because it starts to hurt, she gets angry and forcefully comes over and opens it wider for me. I go a little crazy. There are other things they have done that really disturb me, but I'm sure you're going a little nuts too. Does anyone else have this problem?

9 comments:

  1. YIKES!! I think you are trying to be sensetive about the race issue, and that is hard to bring up, but I believe it is an honest feeling any person has. When we are surrounded by people who are all members of a group that we are not a member of, it is a little off-putting. That is to say, we are not very comfortable, and when you are going to a dentist, being comfortable is important!!
    I would recommend being sure to use a real introduction and conclusion to every piece you write, so that it is ingrained in you as a writer that these elements are not up to choice, but are indeed necessary at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a true experience? Wowzas!!I would be so ticked off at those people! Very unproffesional. Indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dental hygienist is mean. Whenever I go to the orthodontist she sits me in a chair, says she'll be back in a minute, then goes and chats with her friends. When she come back like ten minutes later she asks me "are you ready?" and i swear she just annoy me so much!!! I hate it when people get paid for doing stupid things while they are supposed to be doing their job for crying out loud! Sometimes she gets distracted and forgets stuff like one time she forgot to cut of the wire in the back of my braces and it kept poking me until I got my mom to cut it off. And another time she forgot to put the colors on and I just had plain silver. What is she getting paid for, talking with her friends?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I hate the dentist so much! It feels so bad my mouth is sore for the rest of the day. And my dentist is Mexican and doesn't speak English at all so I know where you were trying to go with the race thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O_O I haven't had any experiences like that, but if I did, I'd probably chuck a tool back at them and run. D^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this is all true. There are some crazy people out there that go into a line of business that doesn't mean a thing to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. They don't sound too professional to me. Did you ask your parents if you could try going to a different place? This could solve a couple of your problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, really? I just started going to a new dentist and she's Asian (not trying to be racist!) but she's really nice. Plus it's fun because I'm taller than her |D But I had problems like that at my old dentist, she would leave stuff in my mouth and tell me not to close it and then come back in like 20 minutes :/ I agree with Jackson, you should go to a different dentist!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW... I used to have problems with my dentist, too!! When I was like three they would tell me to open my mouth to shove gooey white stuff in my face and out tools in it and if I gagged she would start yelling at me!! Also the office and waiting room were pretty creepy, dark and eery...

    ReplyDelete